Compare Zovirax Prices
ABOUT HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS:
Over 80 known viruses exist within the Herpes family. Of these, 8 are known to cause disease in humans, the most common being Herpes Simplex Virus Type-1 (HSV-1) and type-2 (HSV-2). HSV-1 and HSV-2 look identical under the microscope, and either type can infect the mouth or genitals. Usually, however, HSV-1 occurs above the waist, and HSV-2 below the waist:
- Herpes Simplex Virus Type-1 (HSV-1) - commonly causes herpes labialis (also called oral herpes, cold sores or fever blisters), which is a highly infectious open sore that crust over before healing. Although less probable, HSV-1 can also cause genital herpes.
- Herpes Simplex Virus Type-2 (HSV-2) - a contagious viral infection primarily causing genital herpes in men and women. The telltale signs and symptoms of genital herpes include recurrent clusters of blisters, bumps and rashes in the genital areas. HSV-2 can also be responsible for herpes labialis (cold sores), although less often than HSV-1.
TRANSMISSION OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS:
Unlike viruses such as influenza, which can be transmitted through the air, Herpes Simplex Viruses require physical contact. They are frequently transmitted through mouth-to-mouth contact (in the case of HSV-1) or genital-to-genital contact (in the case of HSV-2), although other means of transmission, including hand-to-genital and mouth-to-genital contact, are possible.
HOW DOES ZOVIRAX CREAM WORK?
ZOVIRAX CREAM is selectively absorbed into cells infected with Herpes Simplex Virus. Within the cell Herpes Simplex Virus coded enzymes convert ZOVIRAX CREAM into its active form. This active form of the drug inhibits the growth and replication of Herpes Simplex Virus by interfering with viral DNA replication.
ZOVIRAX CREAM is preferentially taken up and converted into its active form only by Herpes Simplex Virus infected cells. Thus, ZOVIRAX CREAM is much less toxic for normal uninfected cells.
CLINICAL BENEFITS OF ZOVIRAX CREAM:
When ZOVIRAX CREAM is applied to the infected area it produces a decrease in the time to healing, a decrease in the duration of time that the infection causes pain and decrease in the duration of time that the infection sheds Herpes Simplex Virus. Viral shedding is the mechanism by which Herpes Simplex Virus is transmitted from person to person.
HOW TO USE ZOVIRAX CREAM:
Therapy with ZOVIRAX CREAM should be instituted as early as possible following the initial onset of signs and symptoms of infection. Infection most commonly manifests itself as a cold sore, or as clusters of blisters, bumps and rashes in the genital area. Symptoms of infection include tingling, itching, burning or redness of the skin at the infection site. Symptoms oftentimes begin before any cold sores or genital blisters, bumps and rashes are noted.
- Apply a small amount directly to the infected area 5 times per day.
- Massage it into the skin very gently.
- It is best to wear a latex glove when applying ZOVIRAX CREAM to the infected area. Herpes Simplex Virus can adhere to your finger during the application process and be inoculated to other body sites or to other persons. We will supply a free box of latex gloves with each order of ZOVIRAX CREAM.
- After removing the glove it still is necessary to wash your hands immediately after contact with the infected area.
- Use the ZOVIRAX CREAM until the infection is completed crusted or shows clear-cut signs of healing.
- Do not use ZOVIRAX CREAM for the eyes.
- Do not apply continuously to try to prevent infection from reoccurring.
IF I AM ON THERAPY, CAN I STILL SPREAD HERPES TO OTHERS?
YES, no drug has been proven to prevent the spread of herpes infection to other people. You or your partner should always use condoms and avoid sexual contact during an outbreak.
- Recurrent or long-term swelling or pain at application site.
- Recurrent or long-term itching at application site.
- Recurrent or long-term redness at application site.
If any of the above problems occur stop the ZOVIRAX CREAM.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding this medication is best reserved for only the most severe outbreaks. Be sure to let us know in your medical history/personal profile consult of this fact so we can appropriately advise you about the use of ZOVIRAX CREAM.